A Glass of Chianti

Friday, June 24, 2005

It's my first baton!

I've never been passed one before, though I have swiped certain memes just to answer in my journal. I'm so excited I can hardly type. Seriously! I'm giddy. :)

Total number of books I've owned:
Not many. Between 150 and 200, mostly in Latin or music textbooks. For everything else, I tend to use the library.

The last book I bought:
Confessions - St. Augustine. I looked for an illustrated Latin version, but I had to settle for this one.

The last book I read:
I haven't really finished a book in a while. I've been grazing on some of my summer favorites, though. Lots of Catullus and Ovid lately.

Five books that mean a lot to me (in no particular order):
I answered this here.

Total number of films I own on DVD and video:
I think the last count was 125. Yes, it's almost as large as my entire book collection. On the bright side, this means that any time I need a Kurosawa fix, I'm prepared.

Last film I bought:
Wim Wenders's Wings of Desire. I haven't watched it yet. I'm kind of saving it.

Last film I watched:

October Sky.

Five films that I watch a lot or that mean a lot to me (in no particular order):

I so can do this!
1. The Lion in Winter - Too many reasons.
2. Seven Samurai - Though my favorite Kurosawa is probably Ikiru, this was the first movie that I saw in college on my DVD player and it opened up an entire world of movies that I never knew existed.
3. The Secret of NIMH - A childhood favorite. I think that this is where my fascination with stories about duty and loyalty began...
4. Spirited Away captures that perfect age where magic and reason coexist. It doesn't happen for very long, because it's at the end of a child's embrace of magic and the beginnings of reason. I remember vividly when, in my life, reason started opening things up and it felt exactly like this movie looks.
5. Rushmore - Always wanted to be a Miss Cross, but I'm stuck with playing Margaret Yang.

If you could be any character portrayed in a movie, who would it be?
Heh. Anybody but Margaret Yang. ;) Seriously, though.... I think Eve Kendall leads a pretty fun life. Best. Proposal. Ever.

Total volume of music on your computer:

*sigh* A hair under 140 GB. Now, before we get all scared, about 65% of that is professional stuff - band concerts, wind symphony pieces and orchestra stuff. The stuff I listen to for leisure is only about 60 GB or so. There is some overlap, of course. For some reason, I just don't tend to listen to John Higgins arrangements for beginner band all too often outside of school...

Last CD you bought:
The U.S. Army Field Band - The Legacy of Aaron Copland. This is totally for leisure. "An Outdoor Overture" arranged for band is heaven!

Song currently playing:

Heh. Jeff Buckley - "Hallelujah"

Five songs I listen to a lot or that mean a lot to me:
It says "songs" so classical is out, I guess... ;) Without comment:
1. Mel Torme - "Midnight Swinger"
2. Bobby Darin - "Beyond the Sea"
3. Jack Jones - "This Could Be the Start of Something"
4. Nancy Wilson - "A Lot of Livin' to Do"
5. Frank Sinatra - "A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square"

Five people to whom I'm passing the baton:
I don't have 5 people with blogs who read, so I won't spread the virus. If you answer it, though, just leave a comment or send me a little note and I'll set up a link. Sound like a deal?

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to the shooting range for a couple of hours.

UPDATE: Coolness! Michael and Jamie answered back. :)