A Glass of Chianti

Friday, June 24, 2005

I'm trying to figure out where I'm going to be picking grapes

I have it narrowed down to two wineries that I have visited and love. Basically, you spend one day picking grapes (go volunteer manual labor!) and you get to take home some grapes or a bottle of wine from last year. I'm torn between these two places:


Spicewood Vineyards
between Burnet and Marble Falls. It's run by a husband and wife who are retired schoolteachers - soooo cool. The wines were not overly stunning, but they were pleasant, and the operations were great.

The other is Texas Hills in Johnson City* where the wines (especially the Orange Moscato! Mmmmmmmm) were brilliant, but I was less in love with the people running the facilities.

I'm leaning toward going to Burnet and laboring, but driving down to Johnson City to get some wine tomorrow. Do I have a problem that the prospect of driving 240 miles for wine doesn't really deter me? Surely, I'm not crazy.

*Yes, that President.