A Glass of Chianti

Saturday, September 03, 2005

St. Gregory the Great!

When time came in my Confirmation preparation class to pick our confirmation saint, I told the leader of the group that I had picked St. Gregory the Great. Our instruction was "pick a Saint you feel connected to." I had given things a lot of thought and chose St. Gregory. I thought it was a good, solid choice. The leader of my group did not think it appropriate, however, and told me that I had to pick a woman*. I was a little frustrated and more than a bit upset because I felt that I had followed instructions and I wasn't trying to be cute. Every other girl was picking St. Joan of Arc or St. Cecilia and, though Cecilia would have been a great choice for me, I didn't want to be like everyone else. So, I picked St. Elizabeth of Hungary, because she was pretty cool. But, if I had my way, I would be celebrating my confirmation saint's feast day today. None of this is terribly important, but I'm feeling kind of crummy due to an allergic reaction that won't go away and a lack of people with whom to talk, so the blog gets my undivided attention. :)

*I then said that I wanted to name my Confirmation Saint in pectore. (I thought it was funny... the leader of the group did not.)