A Glass of Chianti

Friday, September 16, 2005

Settling in

It's been a busy beginning of the school year and I think I'm finally getting the feel for my schedule. I know when I can expect to see some leisure time to catch up on, well, leisure (i.e. not anytime on Mondays or Tuesdays) and what students come to which lessons at what time. (That last part is the big relief.) ;)

I have a big project that really needs to be finished by tomorrow evening if I am to keep my sanity. I hope that, after it is complete, I can sit with a nice glass of wine and listen to some pieces in A Major. (As an aside, A Major is usually considered to be one of the happiest of keys. And it is. Unless you're a clarinetist*. We're in 5 sharps. The A# in the throat tones is devilishly sharp for acoustical reasons that I don't think anyone wants to read about and the F# in most registers borders on flat. Not cool. You string players in A don't know what the clarinetists are saying behind your back**. It's probably best that way...)

In any case, I've had a not so great evening and shall have a long day ahead of me tomorrow. With any luck, it will all turn out wonderfully. :)

By the way, did you know that Texas has its very own official state tartan? I didn't, but I think it's quite purty.

*who doesn't have an A clarinet
**And yes, you are making it worse because you're always sharp.