A Glass of Chianti

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Sugar and spice and everything nice

This is the first year that I've had more young women than young men in my lessons. The only place where this makes a difference is that this makes shopping for birthday gifts much, much easier. They're small presents - better than a glitter pencil, not as great as their own personal penguin - but I think it's important. (It's all selfish, really, because I just like birthdays lots. ;))

I've resorted the past few to just giving most of the guys gift certificates for fast food (Sonic is the #1 request, by the way) because I cannot come up with anything else that I think they'd like. The music-related gifts the girls seem to appreciate (clarinet push pins, little clarinet lapel pins and the like) are just too cutesy for the guys, and the non-music related gifts the girls get are, well, too girlie. Now, however, I can go crazy with my lip gloss set purchases (Mmmmmmm.... Dr Pepper) and gift certificates at Claire's. Shopping for girls = easy. Shopping for boys = food(?).