A Glass of Chianti

Friday, September 09, 2005

It's Friday night

and so a young woman's thoughts turn to economics. Well, I suppose they immediately turn to Carey Grant, but they eventually settle in and turn to economics. And composing music. And how they are both related.

Grossly simplified, each field is concerned with how multiple complex systems work and affect each other. If a Keynesian economist composed music, it would need to be precise, controlled and highly regulated by rules. It would probably sound like lateish Arnold Schoenberg or maybe like Berg (if they're really radical).

It's too simplistic, and (I think) inaccurate to suggest that an Austrian economist would compose jazz. (Heaven knows that no Austrian I've read would "compose" Bebop. ;)) I imagine that an Austrian economist would compose something rather like Copland because the music would have to be flexible - easily mutated. I think that the characteristic open fifths of Copland (being, by definition, neither major nor minor and quickly assimilated into either mode) really sum up an Austrian view of music composition.

The monetarists are tricky. What is the musical equivalent of inflation? The money supply? Is this difficulty I'm having getting out of this line of thought God's way of telling me that I should drink less gin? (Probably.)

Anyway, that is what I'm thinking about. If I come up with a monetarist theory of musical composition, I suppose I'll be a happy girl. In the mean time, though, there's more high school football to listen to on the radio. Go Hawks! Beat the Cougars!