A Glass of Chianti

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

My day is off to a beautiful start

And it's not just because it's 73 degrees outside and rainy. (But that is awesome.)

In any case, one of the reasons I continue to be a patron of the local video store (aside from plain loyalty to the businesses headquartered in my state) is that I have a pretty good relationship with the people who work there. Many of them (especially in the summer) are students of one or another of the schools where I teach lessons and it's always kind of fun to see who I see while I'm there. This morning I was returning two movies that I watched earlier in the week and stepped in just to see if I found anything that caught my eye.

Conversation while in the foreign movie section:
Clerk (non-band kid at my school): "Hey. You're that teacher."
Me: "Ummmm. Pardon?"
Clerk: "You play with your Game Boy in the band hall. I walk by after school on my way to the bus. That's cool"
Me: "Thanks. I'm kinda sad that that is the identifying characteristic, though"
Clerk: "Yeah, [name of band kid who works there] thinks you're a cool teacher, but you watch weird movies."
Me: "Oh. I don't think they're that weird."

I think I'll be taking a break from the neighborhood store until the end of the summer - their staff turnover should shield me from further embarrassment.