A Glass of Chianti

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I really need to start thinking things through

Without entering into any details at all, I'd just like to say that making chocolate chip cookies generally works best when one remembers to pick up chocolate chips at the store when there.

Sadly enough, this is fairly typical behavior from me. Several years ago, a good friend of mine who was building a house out in Utah excitedly sent me a copy of the blueprints. (It was a little weird to open my mailbox and see blueprints.) The next day, I sent a note of congratulations and a request for updates on the progress. Also in this envelope, I slid in quickly drawn up plans for my own "dream" house. I thought that she would find it funny and hoped that she would find it just as weird to open up her mailbox and see blueprints.

I got a call a couple of days later telling me that she got the letter I sent. She thanked me for my good wishes and told me that she really enjoyed looking at the plans for my home. She remarked that it was a little smaller than theirs (which it was, by design) but that she thought that the lay-out was nice and it seemed as though I put a lot of thought into it.

I was starting to get pretty proud of my little imaginary house. Then, though, it all came tumbling down. She pointed out that I had neglected to include a bathroom in my plans. And laughed at me. It wasn't with me.

*sigh*

So, in all future plans for housing, I will make sure that the bathroom is the first room drawn and in all future trips to the store I will pick up chocolate chips, even if I'm not planning on baking.