A Glass of Chianti

Thursday, July 07, 2005

The snow-cone was nice

Though the Robert Bechtle exhibition left me cold. Not colder than the snow-cone I had after the museum trip, but it wasn't the most awesome experience ever, either. Perhaps it's that I've never made it out to the Golden State, let alone to San Francisco. I just didn't seem to want to connect with many of the pieces. So, I spent the majority of the time, not sadly, connecting with the awesome first floor (sampled in this previous post). There I had fun.

As an aside, if you think that Texas is a solid red state, you've never been to an art museum in Texas (or my school, come to think of it). Though information was readily available before I left for my day out, I had not read about the London news. I first heard about it on the radio in my car. Later, while in the permanent collection , I heard two men talking in very un-museum levels of voice. Paraphrased, the conversation went something like this:
50-ish man 1: "I feel so bad for them. It's really Bush that is to blame for this."
50-ish man 2: "Yeah. We just skipped over the talking part and went right for the guns."

Now, they could have been talking about something else. I, obviously, started eavesdropping after the antecedents were dropped, but even if they were... it just goes to show.... *sigh*

This place is not ever going to be a political blog. I have plenty of places to talk about politics and, if I may say so, I can be quite good at it. I'm not good, however, at writing about art and music, and I've been using this project as practice. Also, I always kind of pictured this blog as a little ongoing dinner party. Like all good Texan girls know, you don't discuss politics, religion or irrigation philosophy at dinner parties. Stupid jokes, art, music... those are all fair game, and I kind of like that.

Sometimes, though, the guidelines don't fit the situation. Right now, brave men and women my age are fighting the Islamofascists. In 20 or 30 years, people my age now will be running for Congress and setting the agenda and the direction for the entire country. We will either remember the lessons we're being taught now, or we won't. It is increasingly clear that people my age are going to finish this war on fascism, or we are going to leave it to our children to finish. I pray we make the right decision. It's been too long already. I hope that this doesn't seem like an "isolated," and thus unimportant, attack. I also hope that upon hearing that the death toll is "only" about 30, we don't think that we're winning and that things will only get better, and death tolls smaller.