A Glass of Chianti

Friday, July 14, 2006

Bastille Day!

Grousing about Bastille Day on the Internet is sooooo 1999, but why are you not reading this to celebrate? (My excuse: my copy is packed away pending a move to, well, God only knows where.) While I'd like to take up the cause and say that the French Revolution wasn't all bad (that contrarian stripe is a powerful one) I just can't seem to muster the will to even pretend an attempt. Save for inspiring a seriously great trilogy of movies, the whole Liberté, égalité, fraternité thing never did much for me. The Enlightenment inspired many powerfully bad things and the French Revolution was just one more addition to the list.

So, Happy Bastille Day, I guess. Now, go watch a Polish movie or two. That's what I'd be doing if I weren't otherwise disposed with job-hunts and house-sitting and other hyphenated activities.