A Glass of Chianti

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Estate sales

I often go to estate sales on the weekends. The primary reason is that I just know that I am going to eventually find the one where there are several dozen VHS tapes of Firing Line lovingly preserved and set aside just for me. My grandmother had a tape storage cabinet full of old Murder, She Wrote episodes. They were unceremoniously disposed of after she died, despite the fact that I had already offered to give them a good home and professed my desire to bring them to Fort Worth. (As an aside, her gravesite in Lubbock faces a big, huge satellite dish. The family story is that she made sure that she could get the A&E feed for all eternity. I never said my family had class... ;))

In any case, I look for my fix of Buckley on the weekends. I am also on constant lookout for the March 5, 1945 issue of Time, cute scarves and old grammar books. I very rarely am able to find anything at these sales, but it is a nice way to spend a weekend afternoon.

So, no luck on any front today, but I have a few on deck for tomorrow. One of these weeks I just know I'll find something exciting.