A Glass of Chianti

Thursday, June 08, 2006

What I am not doing with my summer vacation

Reading Latin
Going to museums
Practicing my instrument (though I do play a couple hours a day)
Doing laundry (apparently - just ask my clothes hamper)
Studying French
Compiling corny jokes for future use in assaulting students
Watching movies
Reading National Review
Planning my opera attendance for next season (second year in a row for that one!)
Watching Jeopardy
Making gimlets
Being happy with Blogger and the publishing system

I did all of those things last year (except for the opera planning, obviously*). I'm not doing a one this summer. Last year was the summer of Catullus and Ovid and Yankees. This summer seems to be the summer of post office trips and phone calls and more phone calls.

I guess this is my first grown-up summer. I can't say I like all of it. There are a few wonderful saving graces, of course, but overall, I'm just kind of unable to do anything except plan and plan and plan. I'm cranky and probably kind of whiny and just so.... Latin-less. Is this what being an adult is all about? No more operas or politics or awesome texts or gimlets?

Let me go on the record and say that I am not impressed with this phase of life so far.

*Blame Houston for the incredibly lame program they had set for this past season.