A Glass of Chianti

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Crushing on our Secretary of State

This just further confirms that if modeling my life after Alan Greenspan doesn't work out (a conclusion that is becoming increasingly clear) and my second choice of shadowing Terry Teachout fails to launch that Miss Rice is a pretty solid third choice.

Ten of her favorite musical pieces.
Mozart: Piano Concerto in d
Cream: "Sunshine of Your Love"
Aretha Franklin: "Respect"
Kool and the Gang: "Celebration"
Brahms: Piano Concerto No. 2
Brahms: Piano Quintet in f minor
U2: Anything
Elton John: "Rocket Man"
Beethoven: Symphony No. 7
Mussorgsky: Boris Godunov

The Mussorgsky was the surprise for me. "The greatest opera of all time" makes me tilt my head a bit, but I can understand, what with the Russian interests and all.

Miss Rice,
Knowing that you're fond of chamber music, any time you feel the insatiable need for a performance of Shepherd on the Rock, we just need to book a soprano. You know what would make a good program companion? I hear Brahms wrote a couple of somethings for clarinet and piano. I'm sure it was just an oversight that they weren't included on the list.

I can promise that I can keep up musically but I'm afraid that I'd never be able to keep up on the fashion portion of the evening. That being said, I'm hard pressed to think of any clarinetist who could...